21 Mar Welcome to Australian Pear Month! Recipe: Pear & Rocket Salad
We are celebrating Australian Pear month, so we would like to share with you this delicious, simple recipe. It’s one of our most popular salads in our corporate cookery classes for groups and perfect freshness and zest to balance out any meal. With the lushness of the pears married with the peppery rocket, the crunch and spice of the carmelised pecans and the soft cheese … it is heaven. The raspberry walnut vinaigrette gives it extra zest and a fruity tang, which enhance either goats cheese or blue cheese.
Make sure to dress the salad with only half of the dressing, then toss. When the rocket leaves appear to be lightly glistening, don’t add any more dressing; just save it for next time. Overdressing a salad is something you never want to do. Add more dressing if necessary.
Please remember to 1) follow this link to the Australian Pears Facebook page and 2) vote for “VictorsFood’s Pear and Rocket Salad” (and 3) Share it with your friends) and you could win a dinner for 2: https://www.facebook.com/australianpears/app_186696158105486
Pear and Rocket Salad with Spicy Glazed Pecans, Blue Cheese, Walnut Raspberry Vinaigrette
Spicy Glazed Pecans
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 teaspoons water
½ cup pecans
Walnut Vinaigrette and Salad
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp raspberry wine vinegar
good pinch cracked black pepper
2 tbsp walnut oil
2 tbsp olive oil
150 gm rocket leaves
50 gm blue vein cheese, crumbled
2 pears (Bosc preferrably), sliced thinly
Spicy Glazed Pecans
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed fry pan over medium heat.
- Add the sugar, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, maple syrup and water. Cook until the mixture is bubbling.
- Add the pecans and stir constantly until the pecans are well coated and the sugar has begun to caramelise, about 5 minutes. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet to cool completely.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly add the walnut and olive oils and whisk until blended.
- Wash and dry the rocket leaves. Transfer immediately to a large bowl and toss with the walnut vinaigrette and sliced pears.
- Arrange on a large platter, sprinkle with the blue cheese and pecans.
Serves 6-8 as an accompaniment.