19 Apr Mamma Mia – Eat Well and Lose Weight?
I miss my mother she was just so wonderful, big, Italian and loved me to pieces. But she didn’t have much luck losing weight or being on a diet. If I had just known then what I know now I could have helped her, maybe? With Mothers Day upon us it’s important to eat well, but we also want interesting and delicious. In my 5-2 Diet Cooking class (“Fast” Food) I came up with this wonderful Lamb Backstrap with Avocado Tzatziki recipe that delivers on flavour, low calories, and it’s easy to make, perfect for a Modern Mom. Give it a go.
5-2 Lamb Backstrap, Avocado Tzatziki
300 gm lamb backstrap, denuded
1 spray olive oil
1 tsp sumac
1 lemon, zested
sea salt & pepper
- Rub the lamb with lemon zest, salt, pepper, sumac and oil. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours, or overnight for bigger flavour.
- Make Avocado Tzatziki, refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a skillet, add 1 spray of olive oil until hot. Sear the lamb in the skillet for about 4 minutes on each side. Rest on a plate for 5 minutes. Slice on the diagonal, across the grain and set aside.
- To serve, try a bed of cauliflower rice, then add the lamb and a dollop of tzatziki.
50 gm low fat Baramba low-fat yoghurt
½ lemon, zested
½ cucumber (100 gm), peeled, seeded, diced
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tbsp mint, chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
½ avocado, diced
salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, mix the yoghurt, lemon zest, cucumber, herbs and lemon juice.
- Fold the avocado into the mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can substitute kangaroo or fillet steak for the lamb. Drop the avocado to reduce calories even more.
Without cauliflower rice: 333 for the batch; or 166 calories per serve.
With 2 cups cauliflower rice: 393 calories batch; 196 per serve.