10 Nov Recipe: Baba Ghanouj
You’ll never buy Baba Ghanouj again at the store after trying this!
All my clients in our cooking team building events have been raving about our baba ghanouj. We also do this in some of our cooking classes to showcase the roasting technique. People are always amazed at how easy it is to make from scratch. Say “No more” to the watery, bland ones you get from the deli. Make it yourself and impress your friends and family.
The key is placing the eggplant over the flame to burn the skin and create a smoky flavour. It’s delicious. The flavour will be one you will remember. Add a bit more extra virgin olive if you want it creamier. Serve with some olive bread. You’ll never buy it again at the store!
2-3 medium eggplant
1½ tbsp tahini
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1-2 cloves garlic
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
¼ bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 roma tomato, finely diced
1. Roast whole eggplants over open flame, turning till skins are evenly toasted and eggplant is soft. Set aside and cool.
2. Peel the eggplants and drain for 15 minutes.
3. Place eggplants in a food processor with tahini, lemon, garlic, 3 tablespoons of the oil and salt and process until well combined and creamy. Adjust salt, lemon and oil as necessary.
4. Place mixture in a serving bowl, making a well in the centre just deep enough for the oil to be poured in. Then pour in the oil.
5. Sprinkle paprika, parsley and tomato on top.
Serves 8-10 as a mezze